Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 2002 14:01:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Mills <jmmills@telocity.com>
To:        yudin tr <e_yud@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie problem with dumb terminal

Yudin -

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, yudin tr wrote:

> I have problem with my dumb terminal.

It sounds as though you have several problems.

> I'm new employee is my office, and I'm a newbie at
> FreeBSD Unix.
> At my office, there is one set of computer :
> 1 unit Digital Server with processors Alpha (at the
> monitor and
> Casing writed DIGITAL), this server using OS Digital
> Unix Ver 3.2C
> 5 unit dumb terminal (only Keyboard and monitor,
> at the monitor writed DIGITAL).
> For connected My server and Dumb terminal :
> Server using Coaxial Cable and T-Connector to connect
> with hub
> (I don't know that is Hub or MultiSerial Port,
> there is one T-Connector hole and some RJ-xx hole)
> and Dumb terminal using UTP Cable and Connector such
> as RJ-45
> (this connector smaller than RJ-45, such as Phone
> Connector).

I will guess the coaxial cable and T-connector are your primary Ethernet,
probably called '10base2'. This used to be the normal Ethernet
transmission medium. This can be converted to today's more common
10/100baseT (RJ-45) cabling by purchasing a suitable interface unit or by
installing a 'network interface card' (NIC) in your PC which has the right
type of connector. That means it will also have the right type of signals.

I will further guess that the modular connectors _are_ actual phone
connectors which are being used to carry RS-232c serial signals to the
dumb terminals. You will need to connect these to serial ports on your new
PC, and you will need to install FreeBSD to use those ports for console
logins (for your users). Typical PCs only give you two serial ports, so
you will have to buy additional serial I/O ports on a plug-in card. THe
card may use the same type of modular connectors, but is more likely to
use "type-D" connectors like it has for COM1: and COM2: - you can either
replace the cables to your dumb terminals, or you can buy adapters which
accept the modular plugs and convert them to type-d connectors. A good
book on 'Serial Communications' may be some help in sorting this out.

> Now my server is broken and can't to repaired.

You don't mention what the computer is actually serving, or what the users
at the dumb terminals are doing. These will make a difference in what kind
of system you want to install. 'Digital Equipment' is out of business, but
they sold their business to 'Compaq'. I suggest you ask a 'Compaq' sales
office to suggest replacement equipment, or at least to help you learn
what hardware and software you actually had.

This 'server' might be doing something simple, or something quite
particular to your business. You may need to connect those dumb terminals
again, or your users may be able to connect directly to your server from
their own desktop PCs.

> I'm planning to change my server with PC Intel Pentium
> II
> with OS FreeBSD Unix.

Much as I admire FreeBSD, I think you should consider another possibility,
too.

You may be able to buy a PC from Compaq which uses the 'Alpha' processor
and which might be able to run your DEC Unix (or a newer version). The
Alpha processor is still made, and is used in many servers.

We did this a few years ago where I worked because we needed some
performance features of DEC Unix. If you are fortunate, that new computer
might be able to use your existing disk drives and other peripheral
equipment. If you are even more fortunate, that computer would be able to
use your company's existing data and software applications. This would
probably save a great deal of money and time, and save you retraining all
your people on a new set of software and data. The Alpha-PC will not be as
cheap as the Intel/Pentium PC, but the money you may save on software (and
by not losing your company's valuable data!) could be _much_ greater.

> My question about dumb terminal is :
> 1. Can I connect My PC Intel Pentium II with my Dumb
> Terminal ?

Yes.

> 2. If yes, What are Hardware added to connect them ?

More serial I/O ports, and software installed to use them.

> 3. If I must adding some hardware, Where i can buy it
> and how much ?

You need to talk to sellers wherever you are, but a US company named
"Black Box" (or "BlackBox") sells many types of hardware to connect
computers together. I'm sure there are many other good companies: do an
Internet web search for the pieces of equipment you see named in Black
Box's catalog (which you can probably find on the Internet).

> 4. What are the Version of FreeBSD Unix can do it ?
> 5. How to configuration FreeBSD Unix to connect with
> dumb terminal ?
> 6. Where I can downloading manual book for
> Installation it ?

These steps are not going to get a new computer system to do whatever the
old one was doing for you.

You must first learn what equipment you have and what it must do, then you
can decide what computer, software, and other equipment you will need. It
sounds as though you need some expert help to do this.

I am sorry if that sounds unkind or if it contradicts the instructions
you received, but without this information, you cannot even start to solve
your problems.

I think this is not a good topic for this mailing list, and that you
really need local help, but I am willing to answer private e-mail if you
wish.

 - John Mills