Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 1997 20:36:18 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Joachim Kuebart <joki@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de>
To:        Alan T Krantz <atk@alumni.cs.colorado.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: problem with ppp

Hi,

try "netstat -r" and see if there is a default (0.0.0.0) route going to your
ppp interface or to the host at the other side of the ppp link. Does ping also
fail if you try to ping the remote ppp server? Then I'm clueless.

c u jo

On 26-Apr-97 at 16:12:19 Alan T Krantz wrote:
>Ho hum I'm having problems with ppp under 2.2.1 My situation is as follows:
>I had ppp running fine under 2.0 - I upgraded to 2.2.1 and now I can't
>get ppp to work. I saved /etc/ and /etc/ppp before I upgraded and restored
>/etc/ppp so ppp.conf and ppp.linkup are setup correctly. I also
checked/updated
>[host.conf (for hosts,bind), resolv.conf and /etc/hosts]. I have a /dev/tun0
>(I assume it is correct) and I am using the kernel that the boot floppy
>installed (I turned off most of the isa cards - maybe I turned off something
>else I wasn't suppose to? or misconfigured one of the /etc files).
>(i have 2.0's /etc  on disk and the rest of 2.0 on tape)
>
>Anyways ping and traceroute fail to leave the local machine - i guess
>something could be wrong in one of the config files or in sysconfig
>(named is set to no but i keep thinking one of the if_networks is relevant to
>my problem). I don't know what to look for with netstat or show route
>(under ppp) to find the problem.
>
>I am using/have been assigned static ip. I would paste the exact logs
>(show log under ppp) but er I can't get ppp to work to upload them.
>Anyways the connection gets established, my addr is correct and hisaddr
>is correct.
>
>I keep thinking there is something with regards to networks I need to
>turn on but the last time I did this (under 2.0) was 2 years ago.
>
>Any suggestions ?
>
>thanks,

                       For a world of pedigree OSs
FreeBSD - top breeders recommend it            <http://www.freebsd.org>;