Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 20:34:30 -0500
From:      Kris Kirby <kris@airnet.net>
To:        Francisco Reyes <freyes@inch.com>
Cc:        FreeBSd Chat list <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, phk@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New bind not completely open source... why GPL is not always best

Francisco Reyes wrote:

> There is an article at Linux Weekly News http://www.lwn.net/ how BIND
> 8.2 will have some code which although still free to distribute it will
> not meet %100 the definition of Open Source.
>
> Highlights of the license are:
> -Free to use
> -Free to change as long as the they have the right to use the changes
> -Some parts of the code can only be used for DNS handling functions
> -If said parts of the code are changed they can not modify the API
>
> The "parts" I am refering to are the DNSsafe part of Bind.
>
> There are a number of people who seem to be outraged at this
> restrictions and are crying out for changing the parts of BIND that use
> DNSafe. So we are basically saying ... it works, it is free, we can
> change it, but.... let's go and re-do it anyway.. and with any luck we
> will leave some bugs or use not as safe methods.
>
> I am so happy I use FreeBSD with it's BSD license style.

Personally, I'm leaning toward PHK's Beerware license. But I'd have to
change it and make it a Soda (etc .) -ware license. (I can't legally
drink, nor do I care to.)

"And quite frankly, I think I have gotten much more out of my beerware
license than most people have from their GNU or BSD licenses." -
Poul-Henning Kamp

That would be the defining point for me. If your going to give it away,
give it away (now! :-) Else, what's the point? Crippleware has _never_
been popular.

--
Kris Kirby
<kris@airnet.net>