Date:      Sun, 4 May 1997 11:09:10 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   The Learn.pl facility - Live Comments!

On Sat, 3 May 1997, Chris Coleman wrote:

> Is this the list that I try and find help on getting a new program
> committed to the current source code? Or do i need a different list?

Hackers is the closest, really.  You can try picking some committers you
thing might be friendly, and asking them specifically to review what you
have done.  That's how I got my first changes into the system a year or so
ago.

learn.pl certainly looks like a good starting point.  You left
/usr/bin/ee out of the editors list.

One thing that struck me was that I expected to 'learn' 'things', not
just how to find the man pages, but I guess this is a prototype.

Maybe a config section would be good, rather than hard coding program
names into if(){}elsif(){} statments.

Something like:

section mailprogs "Read your e-mail"
path /usr/bin /usr/local/bin /usr/X11R6/bin
progs pine elm mutt mh Mail mail
xprogs xmh

section editors "Editing files"
path /usr/bin /usr/local/bin /usr/X11R6/bin
progs ee pico emacs jove elvis vi ex
xprogs xemacs xedit

Once you have these basics, you can also say 'learn mail' and have
'learn' print out a list of all the available mail progs, and a description
of each, so the user can make a more informed choice.

As for committing, I think this is a great idea, and with a bit more
polish should become a "recommended package" for anyone who is setting up
a system for newbie users.  I think the more senior people on the
committers round table would prefer to see this facility settle down
before integrating it into the system.

Cheers,

Danny