Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:39:39 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        David Dooley <dpd@raffles-it.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Putting a UFS filesystem in a JAZ Disk

David Dooley <dpd@raffles-it.com> types:
> --==_Exmh_-462485028P
>
> The subject said it all really.
>
> I am trying to format a 2GB JAZ disk with a UFS filesystem. I can
> label and partition the disk, I only want a single c partition, but
> when I come to newfs'ing the disk I get an error and the system locks
> up solid, I can get in via the network, but it takes between 2 and 3
> mins for a telnet prompt to appear or for my shell prompt to appear
> if I use ssh, then it generates an error and every thing appears to
> be ok once again. I have tried to do this on 3 different disks that
> all work flawlessly under WinDose.
>
> I apologise for not having the actual error message to hand.
>
> The procedure I followed was to run /stand/sysinstall
>
> select 'Configure'
> 	select 'Fdisk'  and select 'da2'
> 	select 'Label' and create a single label for partition c
>
> Exit from sysinstall
>
> I ran disklabel -r da2 and saw the correct label so went on to
>
> run 'newfs /dev/da2c' and at this point every thing hangs.

I've been using a 1GB JAZ drive exactly that way for over two years
with no problems, and everything you've described looks ok from the
software side.

This makes me think the problem is elsewhere. In particular, if your
JAZ drive is SCSI and was recently added, the failure under heavy
activity could be caused by problem with the SCSI subsystem. However,
without real error messages, this is a shot in the dark.

	<mike