Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 22:15:06 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Subject:   Re: Alpha Install

In message <XFMail.980829002919.shimon@simon-shapiro.org> Simon Shapiro writes:
: Also, dod I mention that /usr/share/mk/bsd/kern.mk is missing from NetBSD
: and the kernel's makefile sort of insists on it?

make -m /usr/freebsd/src/share/mk

is what I use when I'm on a machine that isn't running FreeBSD, but
has FreeBSD in /usr/freebsd/src.  I also use this when I'm trying to
build -current kernels on a -stable machine and vice versa.

: I would have not started this, were I not been told to compile the FreeBSD
: kernel under NetBSD :-)  As such, it may yet compile tonight.

I'd also consider adding -U__NetBSD__ to your command compiles as
well, otherwise things may get very confusing....

BTW, $< is the source file for the make rule.  From the make man page:

             .IMPSRC   The name/path of the source from which the target is to
                       be transformed (the ``implied'' source); also known as
                       `<'.

Warner