Date:      Wed, 06 Jan 1999 21:18:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Ville-Pertti Keinonen <will@iki.fi>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVS issues

On 31-Dec-98 Ville-Pertti Keinonen wrote:

> John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com> writes:
[about multiple DNS records for cvsup.freebsd.org]
>> The reason I haven't done it so far is because the mirrors differ
>> in some of the little-used collections that they carry.  They all
>
> Are you sure there are no other reasons for not doing it?
>
> What happens if you cvsup from a site that has an older version of the
> tree than you do?

Since the relevant mirror sites all update themselves hourly from
freefall, that's unlikely.  You would have to run cvsup twice in
an hour for it to happen.  It could still happen if you lost the
connection and then reconnected to a different server.  But even then
the damage would be fairly small.  Any changes that existed on the
first server but not on the second server would be taken away.  But
normally, not much happens in an hour in the FreeBSD repository.  And
those changes that were removed would come back again on your next
update.

John
---
  "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
                                                            -- H. L. Mencken