Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 1999 07:49:34 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fsck and dirty file systems

On Tue, Jun 29, 1999 at 07:00:23AM -0700, Tom wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Christopher Taylor wrote:
>
> > The files systems this is happening on have all been mounted....I guess that
> > explains it...would you venture an explaination? ;)
>
>   Mounted filesystems are always dirty by definition.  I wouldn't even try
> to fsck a mounted filesystem.

fsck's manpage is missing a statement, that fsck should only
be used on unmounted filesystems. One could elaborate on this
a little bit more, for example:
This prerequisite is met during startup, where the root
filesystem is mounted read only (to fire up fsck) and where
all other filesystems are unmounted.
If think you need to check your filesystems, then
	a) reboot
	b) reboot and boot into single user mode
	c) go into single user mode using the shutdown(8) utility
	   and unmount all filesystems you want to check
If you need to check the root filesystem, then you have to reboot
and boot into single user mode (by using the -s flag), since a
root filesystem, that has been mounted r/w (which happens for example
when entering multi user mode), can't me remounted read only.

Not 100% sure about the last statement, but something like this
is really missing.

--
Andreas Klemm                               http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
                                  http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/SMP.html