Date:      Mon, 7 Feb 2005 16:53:41 -0800
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        f-questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SCSI Problem

On Feb 5, 2005, at 15:59, Doug Hardie wrote:

> I have a system that was running fine with 2 SCSI drives.  Both on the
> same line, the last one terminated.  I removed the first one leaving
> the one with the termination.  Now when the system boots I get the
> strangest messages and the results are quite unusual.  Here are the
> console messages during the boot process:

> From here on out the system completes booting as normal and runs just
> fine.  Everything works properly except that the system thinks it has
> 16 SCSI drives.  There is only one, but camcontrol shows it on all
> targets and disklabel gives the real disk label for all values of
> /dev/da0s1 through /dev/da14/s1.  The physical disk has no jumpers.
> Any ideas what might cause this?  I have never seen anything like it
> before.  I can't imagine what I did to cause this.
>
> Here is the camcontrol devlist -v output:
>
> scbus0 on ahc0 bus 0:
> <IBM DDRS-34560D DC1B>             at scbus0 target 1 lun 0 (pass0,da0)
> <IBM DDRS-34560D DC1B>             at scbus0 target 2 lun 0 (pass1,da1)
> <IBM DDRS-34560D DC1B>             at scbus0 target 3 lun 0 (pass2,da2)
> <IBM DDRS-34560D DC1B>             at scbus0 target 4 lun 0 (pass3,da3)
> <IBM DDRS-34560D DC1B>             at scbus0 target 5 lun 0 (pass4,da4)
> <IBM DDRS-34560D DC1B>             at scbus0 target 6 lun 0 (pass5,da5)
> <IBM DDRS-34560D DC1B>             at scbus0 target 7 lun 0 (pass6,da6)
> <IBM DDRS-34560D DC1B>             at scbus0 target 8 lun 0 (pass7,da7)
> <IBM DDRS-34560D DC1B>             at scbus0 target 9 lun 0 (pass8,da8)
> <IBM DDRS-34560D DC1B>             at scbus0 target 10 lun 0
> (pass9,da9)
> <IBM DDRS-34560D DC1B>             at scbus0 target 11 lun 0
> (pass10,da10)
> <IBM DDRS-34560D DC1B>             at scbus0 target 12 lun 0
> (pass11,da11)
> <IBM DDRS-34560D DC1B>             at scbus0 target 13 lun 0
> (pass12,da12)
> <IBM DDRS-34560D DC1B>             at scbus0 target 14 lun 0
> (pass13,da13)
> <IBM DDRS-34560D DC1B>             at scbus0 target 15 lun 0
> (pass14,da14)
> <  >                               at scbus0 target -1 lun -1 ()

I have made some progress.  Pulling the SCSI cable and reseating the
controller eliminated the error messages.  However, the above devlist
still occurs.  The controller is an Adaptec 2940UW.  The adaptec
configuration software shows one disk on ID 0 and the controller on ID
7.  The above listing doesn't find the disk on target 0.  My other
systems with the same setup do.  I won't be back on site till Friday so
I am looking for ideas on what to check or try.