Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 08:56:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      icephixia@yahoo.com
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/27711: panic: ffs_write: type: 0xc39b2fc9 9 (0,512)

>Number:         27711
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       panic: ffs_write: type: 0xc39b2fc9 9 (0,512)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I've made my 2 boot disk [kern.flp & ms....flp] loaded FreeBSD up, until the install menu. The i've selected the Standerd INstall, created my HDD partitions using the A of all HDD space. Then I've select to install the boot-loader on MBR, select auto for partition layout ...which created

swap    68Meg
/       50
/usr/   955
AFter that I've select to install the mini. The FreeBSD holographics shell comes up, and shows the install process. When it comes to the folder /crypto it suddenly stops, and prints this on the screen

panic: ffs_write: type: 0xc39b2fc0 0 (0,512)
sync disk.... 77 76  65 39 27 15 1 1 1 1
done
Uptime: 15m8s
Automatic reboot in 15sec.

I've tried just about everything I could think of...I've even installed this version 4.2 on n system with the 1Gig HDD and only the screen-card, 32Megs of ram & sciffy drive. Still the same problem

PS I've installed it from a CD.After booting from the floppy.
My system spec :

Pentium 133Mhz Intel
Ram: 32Meg EDO
Screen Card : Cirus-logic ---PCI screencard. can handle 24Bit at 800x600
HDD: 1080Meg Samsung HDD
Network-Card: NE2000 Compt. PCI card
Sound-Card: 16Bit Sound Blaster from Creative
Keyboard: 101 Std keyboard
Mouse: 2Butt Mouse (NOT MICROSOFT :)
Screen: 14" Viewsonic 6E
CD-ROM : 16Speed Creative CD-ROM

IF it's not too much of a problem, can you maybe e-mail me a spec for the best PC (server typo i386) machine that FreeBSD will run. :) I am looking into buying a new PC (not a aplha machine...just a normal i386 pentium / AMD ) system to use as a server for web-hosting.

>How-To-Repeat:
Just install it.:)