Date:      Sun, 28 May 2000 15:21:44 EDT
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        jhb@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, n_hibma@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: USB difficulties

>I'm not sure what the problem is about.  Can you show the output of
>usbdevs?

# usbdevs
addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
addr 2: product 0x3301, Atmel Corp.
  addr 3: Comfort, Primax Electronics
addr 4: API USB KB HUB, API
  addr 5: API USB KB HUB, API

>Also, do you have usbd enabled via 'ubsd_enable="YES"' in /etc/rc.conf?

NO! I just found the FAQ entry describing how to enable USB support.  And I
will follow the directions there.

The freebsd-USB project site http://www.etla.net/~n_hibma/usb/usb.pl ,
describes adding support for USB.  But under "Staticaly compiled into the
kernel" it only says to copy the relevant options from LINT into the kernel
config file.  I didn't know that I needed to do more.

One question that I have already is: why does the FAQ ask you to enable both
ohci and uhci?  don't you just need one or the other?

>How do you know it is actually failing?

Umm, because it's not working. ;)

BTW, did you make any progress toward USB support statically linked into a
GENERIC kernel?

John