Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 17:23:14 +0200
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Johannes_Gr=F8dem?= <johs@copyleft.no>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Developers' Handbook

Hi,

I thought I'd whine a bit about the Developers' Handbook.  Section 5.3.2,
specifically.  Lisp isn't a strictly interpreted language.  The various
Lisps supported interpreted code, but most real programs are compiled.

Sorry if you already knew this, but it seems a lot of people think Lisp is
strictly interpreted.

Also, I don't think Gnu Common Lisp is the best free Lisp out there.  CMU
Common Lisp, which is also in FreeBSD-ports, is supposed to be the best
of the free ones. (I haven't really tried GNU CL, but I've heard of its
shortcomings.)

Oh, and the literature-section at the end of the chapter should mention
"Ansi Common Lisp" by Paul Graham, I think. (Prentice Hall; ISBN 0133708756,
432 pages. 1 edition, November 2, 1995.)

--
johs