Date:      Wed, 01 Nov 2000 11:12:37 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>, obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Like to commit my diskprep

In message <200011011753.eA1HrCV29435@earth.backplane.com> Matt Dillon writes:
:     I don't see there being an issue here.  We have fdisk, which creates
:     a hog slice just fine.  And we have disklabel, which applies a
:     FreeBSD label to a disk or a slice (with my patch) just fine.  Two
:     programs, two functions.
:
:     I suppose if we wanted to give disklabel an option to create a hog
:     partition, it could simply exec 'fdisk -BI' and then auto-label the
:     resulting slice.  There is no particular need to put a
:     create-hog-parttion function directly into disklabel.   Disklabel
:     currently only messes around with the DOS partition if you tell it
:     to create a dangerously dedicated disklabel.  The only real problem
:     here is that the user doesn't necessarily realize he just did that
:     because the command line looks roughly the same as the command line
:     for creating a label in a bootable slice.

A "hog" partition is one that soaks up all the rest of the slice after
other partitions are carved out.  That's different than what you are
describing.

In the Solbourne tool, I'd tell it, approximately:
	Create partition a
	how big? 32M
	type? fs
	mount point? /
	Create parition b
	how big? 64m
	type? swap
	Create parition d
	how big? hog
	mount point? /usr
	Create partition e
	how big? 32M
	type? fs
	mount point? /var
	Commit!

and the tool would create these partitions, giving all the disk space
that was left after the non-hog partitions to the hog partition.  If
you had a 300M disk, then partition d would be 300M-128M= 172M.  This
is useful if you are also producing disks that are 290M or 310M in
size, as you can imagine.

This is different than what you are describing, which is the ability
to have disklabel create a slice that covers the entire disk.

Warner