Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 14:09:54 -0800
From:      Michael Collette <metrol@earthlink.net>
To:        <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Ports newbie questions

Howdy,

  In the present ports tree it seems that KDE 2.0 apps are few and far
between.  Especially true in comparison to what all is out there either
completed or darn near it for the QT 2.x libraries.
  With this in mind, I thought I'd try taking a stab at working up some new
ports for a lot of these apps that I'd love to get going under FreeBSD.
Aside from the handbook's run through of how to build a new port I'd like to
give a look at some other ports for KDE 2.0 apps that have been done by folks
with far more of a clue than myself.  A couple of the apps that I've tried
manually compiling tend to have problems locating all the proper library
files and such.
  In going through the ports collection, the only app I found that comes
close to fitting the bill is Kvirc.  Thing is, it just bypasses some of the
library checking in the config options.  I'm thinking that the kinds of apps
I'm looking at won't play as nice.
  Along these lines, are there any ports in the collection already that fit
the bill I'm looking for in the way of a template for what I'd like to do?
If not, might there be someone out there who could take the time out to
either provide such a template, or perhaps a bit of guidance to get me on the
path?

  To be a bit more specific, a couple of the apps that I'd like to muck
around with are...

Quanta 2.0 Beta 4
KDE Studio
KBear (FTP Client)

  Any help, especially over this weekend when I'll have a wee bit of free
time, would really be appreciated.

Later on,
--
Maintain thine air speed lest the ground come up and smite thee.