Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:41:50 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        jakob@grimstveit.net
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Evolution 1.4.5 hanging, won't start

--=-6dp/4wvbQolDNGZBqLFG

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 16:55, Jakob Breivik Grimstveit wrote:
> For some time now (FreeBSD 4.8) my Evolution 1.4.5 has been going slower =
and slower, and often crashing (or, not responding, making me have to kill =
all evolution processes and try again).
>=20
> Now it won't start at all. I have many folders, most indexed maildirs, so=
me regular mailboxes. Probably about 22.000 messages:
>=20
> [jakobbg@dune jakobbg]$ du -hs evolution/
> 2.0G    evolution/
>=20
> [jakobbg@dune jakobbg]$ find evolution/local/Inbox/ -print | wc -l
>    22249
>=20
> Now I'm wondering how to fix this damn issue of Evolution not loading for=
 me at all.
>=20
> I strace'd the evolution process like this:
>=20
> [jakobbg@dune jakobbg]$ strace evolution 1>stdout 2>stderr
>=20
> File is available here: http://www.grimstveit.no/~jakob/files/temp/evol_s=
trace
>=20
> Trying to do a `portupgrade -fR evolution` for now, but don't actually th=
ink that'll help.
>=20
> Also got someone telling me to supply orbit info:
>=20
> ORBit-0.5.17_1      High-performance CORBA ORB with support for the C lan=
guage
> ORBit2-2.8.2        High-performance CORBA ORB with support for the C lan=
guage
>=20
> Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.=20

I looked at the truss output, and it looks like Evo is still trying to
read your "cur" mailbox.  It could be that it's just choking under the
size.  Some users have reported that converting to maildir format helps
alleviate such problems.  You might also ask on the Ximian Evolution
list to see if anyone else has ideas.  It doesn't look like the app is
running into any component problems per se.

Joe

>=20
> --
--=20