Date:      09 Jun 2002 13:42:28 +0100
From:      "S. Roberts" <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com>
To:        Michael <michael.lawver@pointoflightproducts.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Orphaned ruby port

--=-Mn7G8z3+UvPO8Bsb8b/x

Hi Mike,
   After no response from anyone else on this I went read ahead, poked
around and I believe, sorted this myself.=20
The procedure is as follows:
1] Re-run cvsup ports-supfile (might not be required, but just in case)
2] cd /var/db/pkg
3] ls -la portupgrade* (returns current installed version)
4] Run pkg_delete portupgrade{version_number}
5] cd /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade
6] Run make        --|
7] Run make install--|---- Can be done with # make install clean
8] Run make clean  --|
9] cd /usr/share/examples/cvsup; cvsup ports-supfile
10] cd /usr/ports; pkg_version -v

You should now see that=20
a] ruby-fnmatch-1.1b_1 is no longer listed
b] portupgrade has a new version number

11] Update any out-of-date ports with portupgrade
12] Run portsdb -Uu to update the ports index

You're done.

This situation appears to have come out of an update applied to either
portupgrade itself, or the ruby infrastructure in some fashion.

Hope it goes well with you, good luck!

Stacey

On Sun, 2002-06-09 at 01:22, Michael wrote:
> Thank you Stacey!! :o)
>=20
> I've been reading other lists that are reporting the same issue so were=20
> not alone :o)
>=20
> Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it!!
>=20
> Michael :o)
>=20
> S. Roberts wrote:
>=20
> >Hi Mike,
> >   if you go to http://www.freebsd.org/ports/devel.html, click on the
> >"Long Description" link, and you'll see (disturbingly) that this port is
> >actually listed there are being non-existent!
> >
> >I've sent a query off to the port maintainer (as listed at the above
> >link) asking for some information on the status of this port, as well as
> >some advice on a work-around.
> >
> >Stacey
> >
> >On Sat, 2002-06-08 at 23:19, Michael wrote:
> > =20
> >
> >>Interesting, I just found the same thing.
> >>
> >>I went in and did a cvsup to all my ports and found this to be orphaned=
=20
> >>as well.
> >>
> >># uname -a
> >>FreeBSD <snip> 4.5-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE #0: Sat Jun  1 12:49:24=20
> >>PDT 2002     <snip>:/usr/src/sys/compile/xeon  i386
> >>
> >>Michael
> >>
> >>S. Roberts wrote:
> >>
> >>   =20

> >>   =20
> >>
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
--=20
Stacey Roberts B.Sc. (HONS) Computer Science
Network Systems Engineer