Date:      23 Oct 2001 20:37:56 +0200
From:      Ulf.Kister@t-online.de (Ulf Kister)
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: python 2.1.1 with AND without threads

Hi Mike,

thank you for taking the time to awnser.

Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> writes:

> First question - if you're running zope, why would you want
> mod_python? Zope comes with a very nice server that makes plugging in
> python code straightforward, and provides excellent performance.

Yes, but this is a development machine and I'm developing for
different target platforms.

> First suggestion - look on the <URL: http://modules.apache.org/ > for
> the PyApache module, and see if it will do what you want. It works
> fine with threaded python.

According to the shorthand description the versions (apache 1.2,
python 1.4) are far below the ones required, and the main site for
PyApache seems to be down :-(

> Second suggestion. Build Python sans threads. Build Apache with the
> python module and interpreter statically linked into it, instead of
> dynamically linked into it. Now build Python with threads for Zope to
> use. Or vice versa. Or build both versions in two different locations,
> and set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH appropriately for the two binaries.

I'll try to do it that way and report if I was successful.

> If there aren't two binaries, but just one - I don't think it can be
> done without rewriting python so all the external symbols have
> different names for one version.

Hell, no. Three numbers too large :-)

later, u

--