Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 15:37:09 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   RAID 5 Failure dumps all terminals

We use A Mylex DAC960PD RAID 5 controller, attached to 7
harddrives. One of the drives have had permanent failures, so
we changed it. Well, as I understand RAID 5, rebuilding the defective
drive should not involve the system, but On console (it ttyv0) I get
a message like "mlx0: error reading message log - invalid log entry request".
On all other ttyv* a logged in user (root) gets the same message
from kernel. Is this eloquence of the kernel and the mlx-driver a preliminary
feature or is the code still buggy, instable or anything else? I feel a little bit
confused about that, while other systems using RAID 5 are completely quiet
while rebuilding the defective and changed device.

On the other hand, how can I redirect console output to another console, on which
nobody never can log in (it should not be ttyv0)? How to prevent users and root
on some ttyv* from getting that much error messages, except on a bunch of
declared ttys?

Thanks in advance ...

Gruss O. Hartmann