Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 1997 08:15:04 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        fyeung@fyeung8.netific.com (Francis Yeung)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to fixit

> Greetings,
>
> 	During upgrade from 2.1.5 to 2.1.6, I made a dum mistake
> in doing sync/sync/reboot after I merged my old /etc/ files into the
> upgraded /etc directory instead of doing an exit.
>
> 	The disk partitions got yanked and the disk can not be booted
> anymore because of invalid partition.
>
> 	Using the "fixit" floppy, "disklabel -r wd0" indicates that
> the label is invalid. There is no vi in the "fixit" floppy.
>

> 	What will be my best shot in recovering the disklabel (slices/
> partitions etc) ? Or anything from the disk.
>
> 	Thank you for your help.
>
> 	Francis

I once had a similar problem and wrote a little program that scans
the disk for disklabel entries resp. start of a filesystem.

Running it over a disk gives the offset of possible former FS
starting blocks. You can then dd skip=... if=/dev/rwd0a of=part1 coun=...
and make a /dev/vn0 of that file. This requires to have the disk
attached to another system where upi have plenty of space and
would be difficult to do with a fixit.flp.

If you want I can sent you this little program. It's a dirty hack though...