Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 2003 09:24:02 -0500
To:        "'Lowell Gilbert'" <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: How to set-up two 'defaultrouter' IPs?

See reply below...

> > To create a somewhat redundant network connection, my friend has
> > connected to business level ADSL connections at his home (32 IPs
> > each). So, he has two routers, on two different networks
> (ATT/UUNET)
> > and what he's doing is multi-homing his NIC cards and via some
> > interesting DNS set-up, theoretically, there is some network
> > redundancy or failover or something.
> >
> > Anyway, here's the question... how would I set-up two
> 'defaultrouter'
> > IPs in my rc.conf? Is that were I would do such a thing?
> I'd like to
> > have the same scenario that he's building with a
> multi-homed NIC and
> > two IPs per VirtualHost directive. I guess there are actually many
> > steps to accomplish this (as I now start to think about it) but I'm
> > wondering how to set-up the networking piece first.
> >
> > Many thanks in advance,
>
> Two truly default routes is not really sensical.  You
> generally play games based on source address, TCP port, or
> something like that, and
> make sure that they NAT separately.  [It has to involve NAT,
> because for networks that small, you can't get routes
> distributed widely enough to do true multihoming.]
>
> So the answer depends on exactly what hack you want to do.

What I'd like to do is this... right now my NIC answers 212.12.12.212
(for instance) externally and that's the address I use for Apache's
NameVirtualHost directives. I would also like my NIC to answer on
252.12.12.212 (second network connection) and serve the same VirtualHost
directives...

So, what happens is, in NS1.NAMESERVER.NET (which is on the 212 network)
the A record for my box is 212.12.12.212 and, if that network should
fail, the requests will be answered by NS2.NAMESERVER.NET (which is on
the 252 network) and it has an A record for my box of 252.12.12.212. So,
in effect, the name server's availability actually directs the traffic
to the available network connection.

Does that make sense?

p.