Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 1998 18:49:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@brann.org>
To:        sauber@netcom.com (Soren Dossing)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: laptop built-in modem supported ?

Soren Dossing wrote...
> Many new laptops have built-in modems these days. Are they supported ? Or
> do you need to buy an external or pcmcia modem ?
>
> How do these built-in modems behave anyway ? Are they similar to internal
> win-modems (which I believe are not supported) or do they appear as
> connected to an internal serial port or pcmcia port ?

Well, obviously, no hard and fast answer is possible, but...
I have a Toshiba Portege 660 CDT which runs 2.2.5-RELEASE.  It has an
internal modem on COM2 (/dev/cuaa1) which worked with the basic system from
the CD.

> I have read the PAO FAQ and laptop survey, but I'm still confused about
> these questions.

PAO is generally not necessary, since these modems operat on normal com
ports, not the PCMCIA controller.

> Please reply directly since I'm not a subscriber.
>
> Soren

John

--
Prohibit work, prohibit pay - people are dying!
			Situationist International slogan

finger jbrann@doorman.brann.org for pgp public key