Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 2008 22:29:14 +0000
From:      Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Further problems with gimp-help

Last week I posted here about a problem with gimp-help after upgrading
to gimp-2.6.1,2. Despite gimp-help-2.4.1 being installed, my attempts
to access help in gimp produced the following messages:

The GIMP user manual is not installed on your computer.

When I changed the preferences to use online help I got the following
error message:

Could not open 'http://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/gimp-help.xml' for reading:
Operation not supported
Perhaps you are missing GIO backends and need to install GVFS?

In fact gimp wouldn't open any file via http, and gio-fam-backend-2.16.5
and gvfs-0.2.5 were installed.

Following suggestions from Jan Henrik Sylvester I installed
www/webkit-gtk2 but still had the same problem. I subsequently
discovered that if I started gimp from a terminal window instead of
from the KDE menu I could access the local help files with no problem
but still couldn't use the online help. Unfortunately I don't know if
this would have worked before installing webkit-gtk2.

At this stage I was starting to wonder if I might have missed some
crucial item in ports/UPDATING at some stage in the past and might have
some dependency issues so I used a spare slice to set up a new test
system.

I created the new system by copying all the partitions from my working
system, editing fstab to change device names and then running
pkg_deinstall -af to remove all packages. Then I installed enough ports
to run X and twm before attempting to install gimp.

This time I got lots of the following warning messages while building
gimp-help:

I/O error : Attempt to load network entity
http://www.docbook.org/xml/4.3/docbookx.dtd
xml/es.xml:2: warning: failed to load external
entity "http://www.docbook.org/xml/4.3/docbookx.dtd"
//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML
V4.3//EN" "http://www.docbook.org/xml/4.3/docbookx.dtd"

These didn't stop gimp-help from building and installing but, needless
to say, gimp produced the usual errors about not having the user manual
installed.

The new version of gimp couldn't open any file via http either.

Although I've got the workaround of starting gimp from a terminal window
I'm left with 3 mysteries which I'd like to solve if possible:

1) Why does gimp, on both my original system and the new build, fail to
open files via http?

2) Why does gimp-help not work when gimp is started from the KDE menu
but does work OK when gimp is started from a terminal window?

3) Why does make fail to build gimp-help correctly in the new system on
the spare slice but was able to build it OK on the original system.

--
Mike Clarke