Date:      Sun, 2 Jul 1995 12:53:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      brian@MediaCity.com (Brian Litzinger)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   crossing passwords bsdi<->FreeBSD

I've been slowly replacing BSDI BSD/386 1.1 with FreeBSD.  So far I've
converted only support machines.

Now I'm at the point where Im ready to convert some machines which allow
user logins.  The password database is distributed among many machines,
so what I need is a way to distribute passwords to BSDI BSD/386 1.1
machines and FreeBSD 2.0.5 at the same time.

I've already noted the the FreeBSD passwords and not interchangable with
the BSD/386 1.1 passwords.

    If I upgrade FreeBSD with the DES stuff, will they then use the
	same scheme?

    Will they never use the same scheme?

    Is there are third party package that will work on both?

Thanks in advance,

Brian Litzinger
brian@easynet.com