Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 05:12:09 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        Jason DiCioccio <geniusj@bluenugget.net>, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>, David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, Alfatrion <alfatrion@cybertron.tmfweb.nl>, "Maine LOA List Admin (Brent Bailey)" <brentb@loa.com>, "Hartmann,     O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFW or IPFILTER?

In message <20011012232818.J6274@blossom.cjclark.org>, "Crist J. Clark"
writes:
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 11:08:25PM -0700, Jason DiCioccio wrote:

> > > Except when the ftp proxy is panicing the kernel. When non-ftp data
> > > was passed over port 21, up until recently, it could easily crash your
> > > system.
> >
> > I've never seen this behavior before actually.. When was this fixed? Was
> > it IPFilter or just IPFilter on FreeBSD?
>
> I don't think it was platform specific. I recall the discussion from
> the IPFilter list, ipfilter@coombs.anu.edu.au. Look at list archives
> for more info. I believe Kazaa (which, IIRC, does some funky HTTP-like
> protocol on port 21 by default) was the particular application causing
> people headaches.

This particular problem was fixed in IPF 3.4-CURRENT (3.4.20+1).
Darren doesn't have it on his FTP site nor is it pointed to by his web
site.  3.4-CURRENT can be retrieved from http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalo
n/ipf3.4-current.tgz.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD
Ministry of Management Services
Province of BC