Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 18:46:31 +0200 (EET)
From:      "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
To:        marcos@eig.unige.ch (F. Marcos)
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Postgres95 and FBSD 2.1R

Hi,

# I've downloaded Postgres95 and tried to compile it.
#
# It won't compile "out of the box"
#
	Yes.

# I've defined BSD44_derived properly in the Makefile.global, patched the ar parameters in
# order to let it build the archive properly, but I still have errors when linking
# postgres.
#
# So, my question is : Is there someone on the list with experience on compiling
# Postgres95 on a 2.1R box ?
#
	Yes, me, for example, late in October, I beleive.
	It worked and even passed all tests; for a pity, the guy from
	our site who was going to use it, found other way to do the job,
	so I relaxed and Postgres was left alone without an appropriate
	heavy testing and use. Just now I don't have it installed.

	Yesterday I downloaded all the patches for Postgres95
	from s2k-ftp.cs.berkeley.edu
	(somewhere in postgres95/bugs subdir, I beleive, p*.html)
	and am planning to return to it few days later.
	Please remind me next week -- I'll make a diff of how I made
	it working and either send it to you or post it.

	I strongly beleive that without a heavy testing for at least
	a few weeks doing a full-featured port doesn't have much sence. (?)

--

	With best regards -- Andrew Stesin.

	+380 (44) 2760188	+380 (44) 2713457	+380 (44) 2713560

	An undocumented feature is a coding error.