Date:      Sun, 5 Jun 2011 17:17:35 -0500
From:      Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com>
To:        Matthew Navarre <mnavarre@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to start KDE4 on freebsd 7.4-RELEASE

Mathew,

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Matthew Navarre <mnavarre@cox.net> wrote:
> I updated my FreeBSD box from 6.4 to 7.4 using freebsd-update, got my ins=
talled ports in order and updated and installed/updated kde4-4.6.3 and all =
its dependancies. Xorg works ( i can run twm successfully), but trying to s=
tart kde bombs out. It looks like kded is barfing trying to get a =A0a lock=
 on the shared cache. =A0Everything's up to date as of a portsnap fetch thi=
s morning. Output from startx follows. Hopefully someone can help, as I'm o=
ut of ideas.

> Thanks,
> mnavarre.
>
> Script started on Sun Jun =A05 13:42:25 2011
> startx
> xauth: =A0file /home/mnavarre/.serverauth.59871 does not exist
>

> X.Org X Server 1.7.7
> Release Date: 2010-05-04
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
> Build Operating System: FreeBSD 7.4-RC3 i386
> Current Operating System: FreeBSD reichlieu.lan 7.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.4-R=
ELEASE #0: Thu Feb 17 03:51:56 UTC 2011 =A0 =A0 root@walker.cse.buffalo.edu=
:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386
> Build Date: 28 May 2011 =A010:30:45PM
>
> Current version of pixman: 0.21.4
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0to make sure that you have the latest version.
> Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (=3D=3D) default setting,
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unkno=
wn.
> (=3D=3D) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun Jun =A05 13:42:25 201=
1
> (=3D=3D) Using default built-in configuration (30 lines)
> (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)
> expected keysym, got XF86TouchpadToggle: line 123 of inet
> kbuildsycoca4 running...
> kbuildsycoca4(59915) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry MimeType =
in ".hidden/kommander.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing =
trailing semicolon).
> startkde: Starting up...
> Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerCha=
nged(QString,QString,QString)
> kded(59942)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Unable to find an appropriate lock to gu=
ard the shared cache. =A0This *should* be essentially impossible. :(
> kded(59942)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Unable to perform initial setup, this sy=
stem probably does not really support process-shared pthreads or semaphores=
, even though it claims otherwise.
> QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread
> QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread
> QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread
> QPainter::begin: Paint device returned engine =3D=3D 0, type: 2
> QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread
> QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread
> QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread
> QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread
> QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread
> QPainter::begin: Paint device returned engine =3D=3D 0, type: 2
> QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread
> QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread
> QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread
> QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread
> QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread
> QPainter::begin: Paint device returned engine =3D=3D 0, type: 2
> QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread
> QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread
> QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread
> QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread
> QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread
> QPainter::begin: Paint device returned engine =3D=3D 0, type: 2
> QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread
> QObject: Cannot create children for a parent that is in a different threa=
d.
> (Parent is KApplication(0xbfbfe35c), parent's thread is QThread(0x2a32205=
> KGlobal::locale() must be called from the main thread before using i18n()=
 in threads. KApplication takes care of this. If not using KApplication, ca=
ll KGlobal::locale() during initialization.
> kded(59941): Communication problem with =A0"kded" , it probably crashed.
> Error message was: =A0"org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown" : " "Th=
e name org.kde.kded was not provided by any .service files" "

> [...]
> QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread
> QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread
> QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread
> QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread
> QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread
> QPainter::begin: Paint device returned engine =3D=3D 0, type: 2
> QPixmap: It is not safe to use pixmaps outside the GUI thread
> QObject: Cannot create children for a parent that is in a different threa=
d.
> (Parent is KApplication(0x2ad09790), parent's thread is QThread(0x2ad1a05=
> KGlobal::locale() must be called from the main thread before using i18n()=
 in threads. KApplication takes care of this. If not using KApplication, ca=
ll KGlobal::locale() during initialization.

I can see that startx might be looking for kde 3, the line :

kde3: not found
kde3: not found

and you have kde 4.6.3 latest and greatest.

Question:
Do you have
exec startkde in ~/.xinitrc

or

exec /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde in ~/.xinitrc

Because the first one is for kde 3 while the next one(above) is for
kde 4.  If you try to create another user and the user is able to
login, then it might be a problem with the old settings?

Regards,

Antonio