Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 23:48:15 +0100 (MET)
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <Harald.Schmalzbauer@gmx.de>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: yet another vinum panic (was How to debug - find error?)

Hello Matt,

following configuration:

Supermicro 370DER board, PIII733, 512MB regECC, 1 SCSI RAID5 on Channel 1, 4
ADR50 TapeDrives on Channel2, 4 80GB IDE Drives to onboard IDE.

This box has to collect data overnight (~250G at the moment) for caching it
to push it on tape at the weekend. Therefore I need the four 80G in one 320G
Volume.

Last weekend the box died silently when I did a fsck on any VolumeManager.
This was a BIOS error from Supermicro. They sent me a new one, now
transferrate is doubled and nothing like that happens.

But when I use vinum/ccd (doesn't matter which one) after some dozends of
Gigs, the box crashes. No matter whether I use concat or striped. For testing
I'm simultaniously coping data form the RAID and from a NFS mounted disk to
the striped volume because only using slow NFS, the box lives longer.

Here my vinum.conf:
drive d1 device /dev/ad0e
drive d2 device /dev/ad1e
drive d3 device /dev/ad2e
drive d4 device /dev/ad3e

volume bck
plex org concat
sd length 78159m drive d1
sd length 78159m drive d3
sd length 78159m drive d2
sd length 78159m drive d4

Here my ccd.conf:

ccd0    128     none    /dev/ad0e /dev/ad2e /dev/ad1e /dev/ad3e

Thanks,

-Harry