Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2008 19:41:06 -0600
From:      Shawn Barnhart <swb@grasslake.net>
To:        "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Buildworld for slow system on faster system

illoai@gmail.com wrote:
> It is /usr/obj you want to mount across, though it
> will work.  Assuming they're similar enough
> versions.  Also assure yourself that their respective
> /etc/make.conf (and/or /etc/src.conf) files are
> essentially identical, or you will great sorrows
> have.

I'm not that much of a system hacker, so I doubt either will get
edited.  I don't even have a src.conf on my 6_STABLE system, but
regardless, it won't be an issue to keep them in sync.

> If /usr/obj is nfs mounted on the _build_ machine
> it will slow down your build times absurdly, unless
> your network (minus overhead) is nearly as fast as
> your HDD controller.

It's gigabit, so it'd be about as good as it can get.  It sounds like
the thing to do is just do the builds on the fast machine, and then
mount THAT machine's /usr/src and /usr/obj on the slow machine when it
comes time to installworld.