Date:      Sun, 8 Apr 2001 18:04:49 -0400
From:      Graywane <graywane@home.com>
To:        Trevin Chow <tmchow@sfu.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Constant disconnections

--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA

On Sun, Apr 08, 2001 at 03:01:46PM -0700, Trevin Chow wrote:
> I have a 4.3RC box setup and I'm able to connect remotely via=20
> SSH.  However, when connected, I'm getting disconnected at random times a=
nd=20
> am unable to reconnect for a varying amount of time.  I just keep retryin=
g=20
> and then I'll be able to reconnect after a couple of minutes....

ssh has an options named "KeepAlive" which defaults to "yes". It allows ssh
to quickly notice when a connection dies. However, if the route between the
two hosts is only temporarily down then KeepAlive will still drop the
connection. If you are sure that the two hosts involved in the connection
aren't dying and that there are no firewall rules interfering with the
connection then temporary router difficulty is usually to blame.

In short, turn KeepAlive off and see if that helps. I leave KeepAlive on for
ssh tunnels that sit around for days and rarely have disconnects but your
milage may vary.

--=20
Note: See http://www.members.home.net/graywane/ for PGP information.

--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA