Date:      Sun, 06 Jan 2002 11:41:49 -0500
From:      "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>
To:        "Cliff Sarginson" <cliff@raggedclown.net>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Parts I recommend (formerly "Workstation and server-market")

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002 08:14:39 +0100, Cliff Sarginson wrote:

>> --For a workstation or a server, you should have at least a 17-inch display.
>> 19-inch is preferable, and if you can afford a 21-inch display then GO FOR
>> IT!
>>
>No no !. A server doesn't need such a thing, a crappy old 14 inch
>will do if you need console access, most of the time you will probably
>administer it remotely.

agreed. i have an ancient 14" monitor that i had to turn the color guns
up on.  the world time i use it is when i drop to single user mode to
installworld

>I would also be circumspect about a 21 inch screen for a workstation,
>the cost differential is phenemonal, and unless you are a graphic designer (
>and have the stength to lift it) I would make very sure that you will
>feel comfortable with it. Many people (including me) find that size of
>screen very over-whelming to work on. There are a lot of psychological
>factors involved here ! A 19" I would say is good for most people's
>needs. If I had the money I would still prefer a TFT flat screen
>personally, visually they are just gorgeous on your eyes.

I still use a 15", however, for most word processing/spreadsheating/etc
a 17" works fine and it cheap.  19" would be better, but it is more.

>> --Disk space? The more the merrier. Especially for a server, and especially
>> if you're doing a http/ftp server or running an RDBMS. I recommend a bare
>> minimum of a 7200RM disk with 20GB capacity. For a workstation, you can
>> probably get away with ATA100 disks, but with a server you need SCSI or a
>> RAID configuration.
>>
>Don't live in the same room as a server with SCSI drives though. They
>are significantly noisier than ATA ones.

I have a 3gig full height seagate scsi, and when you boot, the lights
go dim in the room and it sounds similar to a paper shreader.

ATA drives work fine for a small server.  mine never gave me any
problems.

>Dats are good, dat drives are expensive, but dat tapes are very cheap.
>> --You'll also need a good ergonomic keyboard. *Equips asbestos trenchcoat
>> and casts NulBlaze* I like the Microsoft Natural keyboard; it makes for very
>> comfortable typing. Also, if you plan on heavy X use, get a good optical
>> mouse. I myself use the MS IntelliMouse Optical, which has 5 buttons and a
>> wheel. If you use it, let me know and I'll tell you how to make X talk to
>> it.
>
>Mmm. I would say my most favourite object amongst my array of technology,
>is an optical cordless mouse ... it really is a revelation when you
>first start to use one.

I actually like my logitech cordless keyboard..  types good, has a good
feel, and you have no cords

---
doug reynolds | the maverick | mav@wastegate.net

PGP Public Key Fingerprint: 6E7B 9993 B503 6D45  E33A 2019 26E5 C1DB