Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 12:43:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@mail.hiwaay.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG, gmpicket@icx.net
Subject:   RE:  Macintosh access to FreeBSD over TCP/IP ??

> So, I see my choices for building a custom kernel:
>
> 1.  Package (binary) upgrade from 3.3 to 3.4 by downloading the bin, man,
> boot floppies, and src/ssys (kernel source) and installing.

I suspect there isn't anything super special about the supportting
binaries that you can't use a 3.4-stable kernel with a 3.3-RELEASE.

If you'd like a 3.4-stable GENERIC + NEATALK kernel I'll build one
for you and email it to you. Heck, I could do 3.3-RELEASE too. Its
not hard once you have a local copy of the CVS repository. But if
we are going to do something like that then we really should strip
out the stuff you don't use from the kernel.

> 2.  Use another machine running 3.3 Release (which is available) to CVSup,
> build and install world, build the custom kernel there, and then port the
> kernel (via floppy) to my file server.  Would this actually work?

Are the two machines in question on the same network or reachable via
ethernet? If so you could export /usr/src via NFS and use it on the
server machine as if it were local. Might want to build the kernel first
on the machine with hte sources, then simply "make install" on the other.

Big hitch in the above is in exporting you have to allow root as root.
Not a good thing to do permanently with a server.

Oh, also should export/mount /usr/obj if you "make buildworld" on the
NFS server and wish to use that work on the other.

> 4.  It is possible to manually configure the kernel for hardware at boot
> time, why isn't it possible to manually configure the kernel for other
> stuff at boot time, i.e. add the netatalk support?  That it doesn't "stick"
> and has to be done each boot is no big deal as the file server stays on
> 24x7.

The boot time config should stick across reboots. Seems there was a
little issue that kernel.conf had to be created first, and where it
was to be, and what its permissions were.

With a statically built kernel if you were to put everything in it
then it would be huger than it already is. Kernel modules help with
the dynamic configuration. It appears to me a Solaris kernel is
totally linked at boot time. One day FreeBSD might also. But in
the meantime Jordan has to draw the line somewhere, so NETATALK
is left out of GENERIC. For fun see *everthing* in the LINT kernel.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net (hm)