Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 2003 02:31:13 -0400
From:      Mike Makonnen <mtm@identd.net>
To:        Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Making a dynamically-linked root

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 13:13:37 -0700
Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 03:58:46PM -0400, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
> >
> > Wow!  That's a 25% pessimization.  I'm afraid that other heavily
> > scripted and or fork intensive environments may fair just as poorly
> > (dynamic web content, SMTP servers, etc) as the startup scripts.
>
> You need to realize that with the advent of rcNG that their are alot
> of additional shell invocations. Also bear in mind that your dynamic
> web content and SMTP servers are already going to be dynamically linked.
> In fact, the thing that will be hardest hit will be the boot scripts.

Gordon,

Here's a patch that goes through the most often used portions of rc.d and uses
absolute pathnames for commands as well as substite the shell builtin
function, test instead of [ ... ].

It shaved 6 seconds off my boot of a statically linked root on an AMD K6-333.

Cheers.
--
Mike Makonnen  | GPG-KEY: http://www.identd.net/~mtm/mtm.asc
mtm@identd.net | D228 1A6F C64E 120A A1C9  A3AA DAE1 E2AF DBCC 68B9