Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 2014 21:14:39 -0400
From:      Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cluster FS?

--uwrg0P5ODEVL921K6DrL39Cl0LCCjugsE

On 2014-09-30 04:45, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> Hello
>=20
> Not sure if this is the right list...
> I wanted to ask about a cluster file system.
> Is there something like this on FreeBSD?
>=20
> It seems to me (just from reading the handbook)
> that none of NFS, HAST or iSCSI provide this.
>=20
> My specific needs are as follows.
> I have multiple nodes and a disk array.
> Each node is connected by fibre to the disk array.
> I want to have each node read/write access
> to all disks on disk array.
> So that if any node fails, the
> data is still accessible
> via the remaining nodes.
>=20
> I want to have all nodes equal, i.e. no master/slave
> or server/client model. Also, the disk array
> provides adequate RAID already, so that is not
> needed either.
>=20
> In the archives I see that the demands for
> a cluster FS support on FreeBSD have been expressed
> periodically over a very long time, but seems
> there's never been any resolution.
> Some people mention GFS, but I've no idea
> if this what I'm trying to describe.
>=20
> So is what I'm describing a cluster FS at all?
> Is there something like this on FreeBSD already?
> Is there someting in ports that can be used
> to achive this?
>=20
> Thanks
>=20
> Anton
>=20
rg"
>=20

What you are describing doesn't really seem to be a 'cluster' FS.

In a cluster, the disks would reside in multiple machines, and the 'file
system' would withstand any one of those machines going down. That is
quite a bit different than just wanting a bunch of clients to have
concurrent access to a single disk array.

If you explain your use-case in more detail, we may be able to guide you
in the right direction.

--=20
Allan Jude