Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 09:44:35 -0600
From:      "Richard Seaman, Jr." <dick@tar.com>
To:        Yoshinobu Inoue <shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp>
Cc:        itojun@iijlab.net, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPv6: can a link-site (or global) address be configured in rc.conf?

On Fri, Mar 10, 2000 at 07:35:08AM -0600, Richard Seaman, Jr. wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 10, 2000 at 08:09:04PM +0900, Yoshinobu Inoue wrote:
>
> > 6to4 support seems to be very important for initial IPv6
> > deployment on FreeBSD4.0, so I tried small additinal patches
> > to make it available. And It seems to work.
> >
> > Could some FreeBSD4.0 user with direct internet connectivity
> > please try this patches and try to ping6 to my host's 6to4
> > address?
> > The procedure is,
>
> For the benefit of the lists, and confirming private mail I sent,
> ping6 works using the second of the patches sent (I didn't try the
> first).

Ok.  In addition to your instructions I also configured the
box as an IPv6 router (using the rc.conf switches) and
used a prefix of 2002:cc5f:bb02::0/64 on the interior
ethernet interface de0 with 2002:cc5f:bb02::1/16 on stf0. I'm
not sure if this is quite right.

Anyway, I can ping6 to 2002:cbb2:8dd8::1 from my interior ipv6
box as well as from the router box.  I also configured DNS
for the two boxes, assigning ipv6 addresses to test.ipv6.tar.com
and ns.ipv6.tar.com.  One of my DNS secondaries does not update
immediately on notification, so you might not get the ipv6
resolution until it updates on schedule if you happen to query
that box.  However, once all the secondaries are up, i hope
you can ping6 to both ns.ipv6.tar.com (router) and
test.ipv6.tar.com (interior).

I also had to adjust my ipv4 firewall rules to allow protocol
ipv6 through.  Strange that I didn't have to do that when
doing a gif tunnel to freenet6.net.  Also, what do I have to
do to enable ip6fw?

--
Richard Seaman, Jr.           email: dick@tar.com
5182 N. Maple Lane            phone: 262-367-5450