Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:16:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Javier Henderson <javier@KJSL.COM>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

Matthew Rochlin writes:
 > Just curious (and forgive me if this is one of those holy war kind of
 > questions - I don't mean to be flame-bait).
 > Is there a reason this is a mailing list instead of a newsgroup?
 >
 > (Getting 3+ digests per day (unthreaded) is kind of cumbersome and doesn't
 > seem like the most efficient system....)
 > I just joined the digest list a week or so ago, and it's been very useful,
 > but a bit awkward to read through.
 > Many  BSD releated newsgroups get significantly less message volume than
 > this list.

	I've been pondering about the benefits of having a freebsd
hierarchy (ie, freebsd.questions, freebsd.isp, etc). Gatewaying the
lists into the groups would be simple. But the technicalities of
getting it done are probably not the issue. I expect some list members
would be concerned about their addresses being easier to harvest by
spammers, etc.

	But if there's enough interest, and consensus on this being
a good thing, I'd be happy to set up the mail <-> news gateway here
and feed the groups to whomever wants them via nntp or uucp/tcp.

-jav