Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 18:56:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Bruce R. Montague" <brucem@mail.cruzio.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: What is FreeBSD, Inc?

 Hi, I get asked questions about FreeBSD
and open source licenses (I don't know much
about legal issues, but I am familiar with
the BSD and GPL licenses).

 I'd like to follow-up on a freebsd-questions
post of 9-nov-11 by swear@blarg.net (Gary W.
Swearingen "RE: What is FreeBSD, Inc?") containing:

> "The FreeBSD Copyright" at
> http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/freebsd-license.html
> claims that "FreeBSD, Inc." owns copyright on something,
> presumably more than that page, though it's not clear what.

 When someone asks me who is "FreeBSD, Inc.",
what do I tell them? The FreeBSD Project?
The FreeBSD Mall, Inc.? Walnut Creek (by way of
WindRiver)? The fellow that owns Walnut Creek?
etc... I think I understand that whatever FreeBSD,
Inc., is, it is not the FreeBSD Foundation.

 The answers to the previous post were sort of
"its in the works."

 Thanks for any advice/info. Please cc me directly
on any response, I apologize for being maxed-out
on mailing-list bandwith!

 Regards,

 - bruce