Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 18:58:32 +0200
From:      Len Conrad <lconrad@go2france.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Performance Tuning

>I'm going to be building a few (several) FreeBSD servers to use in a large
>mail environment.  Anyone have any hints or suggestions on what measures I
>might take to ensure peak performance from these boxes?  As far as
>hardware is concerned we're probably looking at a PIII/500-700
>(Whatever is current and available at the time) and a minimum 1G RAM,
>probably 2 to 4.

See this commercial vendor's performance numbers, his expensive LSMTP
product, and his sizes of machines:

http://www.lsoft.com/products/default.asp?item=lsmtp

And then go do the same for free with FreeBSD and postfix and maybe
softupdates  filesystem.

Real speed comes from parallel machines and real reliablity comes from
redundant machines.  So build as many FreeBSD/postfix machines as you need.

I know one FreeBSD/postfix user in the financial sector that runs 20
FreeBSD/postfix machines to deliver a 100,000 msgs every morning to list
subscribers to stock market lists.

Len