Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2008 19:52:48 -0600
From:      Shawn Barnhart <swb@grasslake.net>
To:        Brent Jones <brent.jones@otago.ac.nz>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Buildworld for slow system on faster system

Brent Jones wrote:
> What you propose works fine, but you should have the /usr/src and
> /usr/obj directories locally stored on your fast machine for the builds.
> Then have your slow machine nfs mount /usr/src and /usr/obj from your
> fast machine, and simply do your make installs from your slow system.

Thanks.   I'm assuming on the slow install system I have to keep
/usr/src and /usr/obj mounted from the fast build box on their "correct"
directories (ie, over the local system's /usr/src and /usr/obj)
otherwise I'll have problems.

As the other person who replied pointed out, nfs mounting /usr/src and
/usr/obj from the slow system to the fast system would nullify a lot of
the speed advantage (although it is 100% GigE), but would let me keep
the working /usr/src and /usr/obj on the slow machine, which is the one
that is actually getting used.

On a somewhat related question, which FreeBSD install choice gives me
enough development tools to "make installworld" if I have /usr/src and
/usr/obj nfs mounted from a full source system but doesn't actually
burden the system in question with unnecessary components?