Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 20:50:48 -0400
From:      James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Notes on problem with 4-Stable & XFr3386 4.0 & 4.0.1 and loss of mouse.

This is a series of notes and a couple of fixes.  It will ramble, sorry.

I installed XFree86 4.0, binary from the web, shortly after it became
available.  Version 3.3.6 only support 8bit color on my S3 video card.

Version 4.0 support full 24bit color but sucked the processor.  When in
X usage was about 20% and when no it would go up to about 90%.  My NIC,
initially a DLink 530-TX and then 3COM 3C905-TX, both would loose data
and interrupts.  The 3Com more gracefully.

I am still waiting for the binary for 4.0.1 from XFree86.  Not wanting
to compile the monster and being a little unsure about the questions.
Finally I got fed-up and did it.

Ver 4.0.1 found my mouse at /dev/mouse -> /dev/psm0.  But a couple of
times after switching from X to text and back the mouse would be
gone!!!!  But editing the mouse protocol from "auto" to "PS/2" seems to
have fixed the problem.

Also my useage for X sits below 1% for X and text modes.

Jim
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.