Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 18:14:38 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
To:        Chris Piazza <cpiazza@home.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/11786: gnupg-0.9.6 port does not install

On Wed, May 19, 1999 at 03:20:02PM -0700, Chris Piazza wrote:

>  > gnupg port install hangs forever at:
>
> [snip]

>  > cc -O -pipe -Wall -Wcast-align -Wshadow -Wstrict-prototypes  -c
>  > tmp-mpih-mul1.s

>  I say this for two reasons:
>
>          * It works here. ===>   Registering installation for gnupg-0.9.6
>          * http://bento.freebsd.org shows no errors or problems with the gnupg
>            port.

Similar thing happened here after I freshly reinstalled my laptop with
3.2-RELEASE.  gnupg-0.9.6 hung in exactly the same place as is mentioned
above.  Doing some further investigation, including a blank install again
followed by attempting to install the gnupg port before any other ports
at all had been installed (just to make sure that there was no weird
conflicts going on), it hung in exactly the same place.

However, I managed to fix the problem after experimenting with removing
various parts of CFLAGS.  It works (on this box at least), if, and only
if, I remove '-pipe'.  Initially I just cut-n-pasted the compile line,
ran it by hand (without -pipe), and then re-ran the make install.  It
hung in exactly the same manner on the next file, which was also a
.S -> cpp -> .s -> cc -> .o combination.

I've got another (desktop) box to move to 3.2-RELEASE in the next day or so,
so I'll see what happens with that one.

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.