Date:      Wed, 01 Apr 1998 18:38:03 -0700
From:      Phusion <phusion@thuntek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Telnetd Locking up

Hello all I was just wondering if anyone could help me out.  I have a
FreeBSD 2.2.5 system that I run telnetd on.  Here is my problem:

After establishing a telnet connection to it and idling for...about 15
minutes I loose the connection.  It is not an instantaneous connection
drop, its only a few seconds after I start typing that it disconnects.  I
have tried many other clients, and my friends report the same thing from
their clients.  Now, I know this is not a shell setting because when I log
in from the console as the same user I can idle for hours obviously and
still maintain an active connection.  I've tried replacing the telnetd w/
the one from a system that doesnt have these symptoms and still no luck.
Its also present in the FTPd, after downloading a file of moderate length I
loose the connection.  Has anyone ever seen this before?  Is there anything
I can do?  I have been struggling with this for a couple of months, any
help would be appreciated.  Thanks for your time.