Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 1998 19:21:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@brann.org>
To:        doug@bigwheel.net (Doug Jolley)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nfs

Doug Jolley wrote...
> I have two freebsd machines.  I would like to set one up as a
> nfs server and the other as an nfs client.  (I'm assuming
> that's roughly equivalent to saying that I want to be able to
> mount filesystems which are located on the server on the client.)
> Could someone point me to where I could get info on doing that?
> I read the article in the handbook on NFS but it seemed to be
> more of a discussion of a specific problem than a how-to guide
> on how to setup and use NFS.  TIA for any help.
>
>      ... doug
> Doug Jolley    mailto://doug@bigwheel.net     http://www.bigwheel.net
>          Don't bogart that file, my friend.  Net it over to me.

Ok, this is pretty painless really.

First, make sure your kernels are able to do nfs, on both the client and
server (The GENERIC kernel can).  If you've built your own kernel(s), the
server needs

options         NFS                     #Network Filesystem

and the client needs

options         NFS                     #Network Filesystem

OR

options       NFS_NOSERVER            #Disable the NFS-server code.

once that's done, you need an '/etc/exports' file on the server to tell
nfs who is allowed to connect and what they can mount.  (man 5 exports)
My experience with this is that it's _very_ touchy.  Start out with
something very simple (let any machine mount a test directory you don't care
about, for instance) and add options slowly, checking mountd's output each
time you restart it.

In order to get nfs up on boot, set up the following in /etc/rc.conf

nfs_server_enable="YES"         # This host is an NFS server (or NO).

on the server and

nfs_client_enable="YES"          # This host is an NFS client (or NO).

on the client.

Once you get started, you can make changes to /etc/exports and refresh
by 'kill -1' on mountd.

Don't be put off if this sounds like weird black magic, it really isn't.

Good luck, feel free to e-mail me if you have problems.

John
--
Prohibit work, prohibit pay - people are dying!
			Situationist International slogan

finger jbrann@doorman.brann.org for pgp public key