Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2000 09:44:22 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Dirk Zoller <duz@onlinehome.de>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: microuptime went backwards on Athlon

On Thursday,  1 June 2000 at 11:00:09 +0200, Dirk Zoller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> yesterday I changed my mainboard/CPU to an EPOX 7KXA and an Athlon 700.
> Before I had an K6-2/450 and few problems (at least not the following).
>
> Now I see the system going nuts with zillions of messages
> "microuptime went backwards" in the syslog. Actually the system
> becomes unusable because it is so busy writing these messages.
>
> At the same time the clock moves rapidly forward. Within a few minutes
> the output of the date command advances by several hours.
>
> I'm not sure when this happens but it seems to be start when
> the system is under load of a big compile job. I.e. I can use it for
> hours with editing tasks but when I start to compile stuff -- not the
> first time but after a while -- the problem begins.
> I also observed the problem when using gzip on a very large file.

Yes, I had these same problems with the same motherboard.  I'm writing
on it now, so it's soluble :-)

> I don't think it is a thermal problem because I have a good cooler and
> the BIOS reports temperatures under 40 degree Celsius. Also I reduced
> the system clock to see if that helps. It didn't.

No, that's not the way.

> I would be grateful for any hint, as I'd neither like to downgrade my
> hardware nor my operating system.

The problem is with the APM.  On my motherboard, it's not possible to
completely disable APM (the BIOS menu selection is missing).  Try
selecting minimum APM functionality, or configure the APM device:

  device	apm0    at nexus? flags 0x31 # Advanced Power Management

Greg