Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 2002 16:13:52 -0400
From:      "William Gnadt" <wgnadt@rri-usa.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <wgnadt@rri-usa.org>
Subject:   stress testing a USB hard drive

Hi:

I've recently successfully configured an external USB hard drive,

Prolific Technology Inc. ATAPI-4 Bridge Controller, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 2:
uplata0 (v1)
da0 at uplata-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <TOSHIBA MK6411MAT > Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da0: 900KB/s transfers
da0: 6194MB (12685680 512 byte sectors: 0H 0S/T 0C)

using a kernel module kindly provided by Ian Dowse (iedowse@maths.tcd.ie),

	http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~iedowse/FreeBSD/uplata.tgz

FYI, I recently purchased the enclosure from Computer Geeks
(www.compgeeks.com)
for $21, then added a Toshiba 2.5" laptop HD. (I'm running
FreeBSD-4.5-STABLE,
built 5 April 02.)

Does anyone have recommendations for exercising the filesystem? (For
stability
testing.) I'm currently using 'iozone' (/usr/ports/benchmarks/iozone):

iozone -az -i 0 -i 1 -R

which should take several days at 50-150KB/s (!) I've completed testing with
the
msdos filesystem. Now, I'm running ufs+softupdates.

What I'd really like is a utility which creates/deletes lots of files and
directories, while repeatedly traversing the directory tree.

Thanks for any help or pointers.

--Bill