Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2001 07:50:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/29247: fmt should not expand tabs.

The following reply was made to PR bin/29247; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To: Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 15:40:35 +0100

 In message <20010806170033.A44549@sunbay.com>, Ruslan Ermilov writes:
 >Ah, that.  That could be achieved by `fmt -l 8'.  Don't take it wrong!
 >fmt(1) always replaces spaces by tabs first.  The old fmt(1) then did
 >what new `-l 8' currently does, unconditionally, i.e., replaces every
 >8 leading spaces by a single tab character.

 Ok, I didn't understand fully why it worked, but a "!}fmt" in vi
 has always left a tab-indented paragraph with tabs in the indentation,
 and now it doesn't. This is the only way I ever use fmt, so the
 new behaviour is quite annoying, and I don't think I'll just get
 used to typing "!}fmt -l 8" instead :-).

 I agree that the old behaviour was not an ideal way to achieve the
 effect of keeping tab indents, but the outcome for me was the same
 as if it had not expanded the tabs in the first place. I think that
 to avoid this unwanted change in behaviour, either fmt needs to
 remember whether the indentation used tabs, or it should default
 to -l 8...

 >> It also deals differently with the 'f' after the long line, but that's
 >> probably unimportant.
 >>
 >Yes, this is due to the:
 >
 >: -p      Allow indented paragraphs.

 That's fine. It's an improvement on the old behaviour.

 Ian