Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 02:59:04 +0100
From:      Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
Subject:   Conventions for Java ports

Hey all,

While searched the mailing list archives, I found a (small) discussion about
where to place Java applications and libraries:

   * http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=517198+519205+/usr/local/www/db/text/1999/freebsd-ports/19991024.freebsd-ports

I've let the "orion" port install into /usr/local/orion1.4.0/.

The "jpda" port I just submitted uses the proposed schema, so the JAR file
goes into /usr/local/share/java/classes/jpda-1.0/jpda.jar while the rest goes
to /usr/local/share/java/jpda-1.0/.

At the moment I am not sure where to put the files installed by the
"bugseeker" port I am working on. Perhaps I should just put everything under
/usr/local/bugseeker1.0.2 or perhaps I should put the JAR file(s) in
/usr/local/share/java/classes/bugseeker-1.0.2/ and the rest in
/usr/local/share/java/bugseeker-1.0.2/.

Notice that under /usr/local/share/java there is a dash-sign, because that's
what the JFC port does, but in /usr/local there is no dash.

* Where should we install applications like Orion and BugSeeker ?

* Should we use dashes under /usr/local/share/java/ (if not, then we should
  change at least the jfc port)

--
Ernst