Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 2010 12:05:02 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, bz@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-net <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: bjoern just received the itojun award at the ietf

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010, Randy Bush wrote:

> bjoern zeeb just received the itojun award.  congratulations, bjoern. and
> than you for all the hard work on the ipv6 stack.

Indeed -- many congratulations, Bjoern!  The slow road from an experimental
protocol in an experimental network stack to one widely depoyed in production
has been possible only because of the efforts of developers like Bjoern.
People don't often get excited about large numbers of apparently incremental
improvements, even when the results are far more than incremental, but they
should!  This award is fitting, and emphasizes the importantance of exactly
those sorts of contributions.  IPv6 won't happen without them.

Just to point out one example of the kind of easily missed but vitally
important work that he's done: converging the IPv4 and IPv6 implementations in
the FreeBSD kernel in order that they get the same levels of maintenance,
performance optimization, etc, which is both hard work and critical work.
Otherwise, the IPv6 code base risks getting sidelined just as it's becoming
most important.  He's similarly acted as the flag-waver within our own
community for the last few years to make sure that new network stack features
support IPv6 as well as they do IPv4.

And, in case anyone has missed it: when you're adding a new network stack
feature, even if your own network is just IPv4, don't forget that there are
large and important pools of IPv6 in the world!  This is really a chance for
the FreeBSD community to lead the way, rather than follow.

Robert