Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 15:03:27 +0200
From:      Thomas Fiebig <tfie@lrs.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Mike Meyer: Concerning "Using make world"

Mike Meyer wrote:

> Thomas Fiebig <tfie@lrs.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de> types:
> > Hi,
> >
> > to that (see subject) question I have another one:
> > If my master machine is a Pentium I (586i) and my slave machine is a
> > 486i, is this method also possible? My make buildworld on the 486i with
> > mounted sources lasts now for about 48 hours! :-(
> >
> > If this is possible, my future procedure will be:
> >
> > - 'make buildworld' on the master machine
> > - mounting /usr/src and /usr/obj to the slave
> > - change to /usr/src on the slave machine
> > - 'make buildkernel KERNCONF=MY_KERNEL' if there are changes in the
> > kernel
> > - 'make installkernel KERNCONF=MY_KERNEL' if there are changes in the
> > kernel
> > - 'make installworld' on the slave machine
> >
> > Is this right???
>
> Yup. The best way to deal with KERNCONF is to put it in
> /etc/make.conf. On the build system, it's: KERNCONF=buildkernel slavekernel
> and on the slave system it's: KERNCONF=slavekernel
>
> then a bare buildkernel on the build machine will build both kernels,
> and a bare installkernel on each machine will install the appropriate
> kernel for that machine.
>
>         <mike

Hi Mike,

thanks for your help. Just to understand you the right way:

Assume my master machine's name is 'alpha', my slave is called 'omega'
and at this moment, no file called '/etc/make.conf' exists neither on
master nor on slave. I will generate such a file on both machines with
just the following content:

on 'alpha':
KERNCONF=ALPHA OMEGA

on 'omega':
KERNCONF=OMEGA

Where ALPHA is the kernel file of the master and omega is the kernel
file of the slave, both stored on the master in
'/usr/src/sys/i386/conf'.

And then I have to start 'make buildkernel' in the '/usr/src' directory
of the master and both kernels will be build on the master.

After that I start a 'make installkernel' on both machines separatly.

Sorry for these possible primitive questions but I'm a greenhorn in this
area.

Thanks,
Thomas