Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 12:38:51 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        obrien@NUXI.com
Cc:        Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/net/smurflog

David O'Brien wrote:

> > Not all port maintainers can take the time to read the cvs commit
> > messages.
>
> Proper use of procmail can help.  I've got recipes that puts all the
> ports-commit messages in one folder, so I don't have extra cruft to wade
> thru when I want to know what has been happening with ports.

	Yes, I have some pretty spiffy procmail filters myself, and I actually
do read the commit logs. That wasn't my point. When a committer makes a
change to a port they should notify the maintainer of that port by
e-mail, period. It is a matter both of common courtesy and good
organizational communication. The people who maintain ports are not all
committers (I for example am not, and I know I have a lot of company)
and cannot/should not be counted on to read the commit logs.

	If you want to encourage volunteers to create and maintain ports you
need to treat them with some courtesy and respect. Making changes to a
port without consulting the maintainer first is sometimes necessary, but
letting them know what happened and why after the fact is not an option,
it is a necessity.

Thanks,

Doug