Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 07:47:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ben Hacker Jr <strbenjr@yahoo.com>
To:        Patrick Gardella <patrick@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        list DC-FBSD <fug-washdc@Sytex.Net>, questions FBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: fug-washdc How to build a (Ext. JetDirect like) PrntSrvr

Thanks for the replies Patrick, Vicky and Glen!

 Ok...

 I understand the need for Samba to allow the
Win9x machines to connect directly to the server

 I assume the NetaTalk-ASUN is for the same
reason on the Mac's... (I have none)

 I don't understand the need for APsFilter, or
Ghostscript...  A standard JetDirect will not
convert anything...  It just sends the data to
the printer.  It assumes that the data has
already been formatted properly.  If I am
printing from Windows Machines then they have
drivers for whatever printer so do I really need
any filter at all??

Ben

PS...  I attempted to install APSFilter6 on my
super 486-50 last week and it failed during the
Port install.   (Some program called ImageMagik)
On the same system I was able to get the
APSFilter5.x.x version to install properly and
it seems to print fine to my HPDeskJet 682c.
(Older ports tree)

Unfortunately(?) the ports tree has been updated
to only include the 6.x version of APSFilter.

--- Patrick Gardella <patrick@freebsd.org> wrote:
> Ben Hacker Jr wrote:
> >
> > How can I make an old 486 into a Network
> > Printer server??
> >
> >  I would like to be able to print to a
printer